Friday, September 26, 2008

The Ugly American

Am I proud to be an American ?

Now in my 63rd year of being an American, I find this question has considerably more meaning that it did when I was Sara Palin's age. I have been fortunate to travel and experience the world by living and working in some 19 countries from China to the Russian border.

Being born an American has allowed me the opportunity including my superb education and the Passport passage to have experienced the world in this way.

I am finding Sara Palin's comments to be simply an extension of George W Bush's ignorance or how other cultures think and view America especially in the last 20 years.

Ms Palin said she learned all that she has from her education and reading and from video media coverage.

I say "hogwash" - it can't be done in that way !

Unless you spend some weeks in a foreign country living, walking and talking with the average local people, it is not possible to learn about how they think and what their values are and how they view America.

Listen to this CBS News interview and judge for yourself if she really has a clue about the world.

Watch CBS Videos Online

On my first trip to Hong Kong in 1968, I found a post card that said it all and to some extent set the tone for my future behavior as a world traveler. It was of two Americans dressed in funny shirts seated and eating at a Chinese restaurant - using chopsticks. The food was flying off the end of the chop sticks all over the table, the floor and others. - It gave me the feeling of Ugly Americans.

My mommy always taught me that when I visit the neighbors, I must - YES MUST - observe their behavior and their customs and act accordingly. I did NOT have the freedom and the right to behave in any other manner.

You don't know about your neighbor unless you have lived and experienced them in their home ground!


.

No comments: